Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Book Review: The Elite

The Elite
by Keira Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: April 23rd 2013
Source: Library
Add it on Goodreads 
Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn't sure where her heart lies. When she's with Maxon, she's swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can't dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, she is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over - and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she's made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she's struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.

If you're like me and you enjoyed The Selection because of it's cattiness and endless drama, then you'll be sorely disappointed in The Elite. I didn't really expect anything more from this book other than fluffy drama set in a pseudo dystopia, but gosh this one really disappointed me. There was one cat fight. One. GIVE ME SOMETHING TO WORK WITH HERE KEIRA CASS!!!

I really didn't mind the characters so much in The Selection. Sure, Maxon was a bit too vanilla, and Aspen was well, an emotionally manipulative jerk, but America was basically so bland I couldn't care less what she did. This time around? Oh goodness this girl got annoying really fast. I don't watch The Bachelor so I don't really know what happens on that show, but I feel like it's pretty much always the guy calling the shots. In The Elite, it's America calling the shots and being a bitch about it. You know that Katy Perry song Hot n' Cold? Yep, that was America.


She spent the whole book toying with Maxon's feelings, and then got all jealous and pissed whenever she saw him hanging out with any of the other girls. Plus on top of that she couldn't decide which guy she liked better, Maxon or Aspen. It was literally every other chapter that she changed her mind.



Maxon was putting everything on the line and saying "say the word and we'll be wed!" and America's all like "I can't be the princess... BUT I DON'T WANT ANYONE ELSE TO HAVE MAXON HE'S MINE STEP AWAY BITCH!!!!"


Yep, it was awful.

As for the guys I am solidly on team "America get's killed by the rebels and Aspen and Maxon go off into the sunset marrying girls that are much more worthy of their love." THEY DESERVE BETTER THAN AMERICA. SO. MUCH. BETTER.

Ultimately The Elite was really disappointing, especially for someone like me who read it simply for entertainment/drama purposes. It was pretty much entirely composed of America whining, and one of my favorite characters got tossed to the wind. While this event did cause the only good drama in the story (if you could call it good drama), it also left the queen as the only interesting character and she was not around nearly enough to save what could have been.

Oh and did I mention that there's also one of those awkward "Did you, you know do it? What was it like?" *wink wink nudge nudge* type scenes which I thought was hilarious and terrible all at the same time. That stuff just does not translate to the page well. Authors take note.

I'll still be reading the final book in this trilogy, but my expectations are way, way down. Plus, I'm secretly hoping that America will get blindsided by a semi-truck and we'll never hear from her again. Too much to hope for? Darn it.

Julia :)

14 comments:

  1. Oh dang, that's a shame! I really enjoyed the first book. I thought it was a brilliant satire, but I was worried something like this might actually happen in the next books. That's too bad. I don't think I'll continue the series, but I thank you for the honest, thorough review, doll! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I thought the first one was brilliant if looked at as satire as well! Unfortunately this one did not have that same satirical charm. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Not gonna lie, I'm totally fangirling a bit inside because I'm such a big fan of your blog. :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't like the first book so much (I was looking for more world building), but my sister loved it and hated this one for nearly the same reasons you stated. Hopefully "The One" ends with a bang (a good bang that is). Love the review, made me smile :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The final book in the series is called "The One"? Oh dang, that's great. It's just... so bad. >.<

      Glad I could make you smile! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. :D

      Delete
  3. I also enjoyed The Selection more than the sequel. It was the back and forth, back and forth between the two boys that did it for me too... But I still think that what Maxon did was unacceptable (even though America should be having no opinion in the matter)! By the end, I was unhappy with both suitors and I don't know how Maxon can redeem himself again for me to love him... He really disappointed me. :( I really liked the side plot of Marlee though. :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marlee was honestly the best character. I'm sad that she was sort of phased out of the story, even if she did get a sort of happy ending she so rightly deserved. And yeah, neither guy is looking like a good pick at this point. Then again, America isn't looking too suitable either. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  4. Hahahaha. One more time: hahaha. Okay, I'm done. I LOVED this review. Loved it, Julia. I've never really had the urge to read this series. I see the covers all over the freaking place and questioned myself: "Are you sure you don't want to read them?" And always answered myself with a resounding "No." The summary of the first book just never really caught my attention. Sure, the cover is pretty. But that doesn't mean I'll open the book. I don't usually judge a book by the cover, I judge it by the summary. So anywway, after reading this hilariously blunt review, I'm glad I haven't decided to waste my time reading it. Like you, the only reason I would probably pick it up in the first place was for the drama. But if THE ELITE lacks that? I'll get bored. And I REALLY don't like whiny MC. So thank you for this awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeahhhh unless the drama your looking for is over which boy America is gonna pick, then this book is definitely not for you. I'm glad you haven't gotten sucked into this series! That gives you more time to read better stuff. Thanks for stopping by and commenting Christine! :D

      Delete
  5. Wow your blog is amazing you probably won't read this as you have so many followers but maybe you could check out my blog and follow moi?

    http://thegirlinblueblogger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww well thank you! I'll definitely take some time to check out your blog. Thanks for stopping by mine and commenting! :)

      Delete
  6. looool, I find it hilarious that you only read this in the hopes that there would be cat fights aplenty. And that you hope America gets killed in the last book. It's too bad you were left disappointed with the book, but hey, at least I got a really entertaining review post out of the deal! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah well I've got to get my cat fights somewhere right? XD

      I'm glad you found the review entertaining! And yeah, at least I got a fun review out of it. Thanks for commenting Aylee! :)

      Delete
  7. DARN IT. I've not read this series yet but i had high hoped for it..OH WELL! But great review! :)
    So i'm a new follower...YOU ARE A FELLOW GIF USER! *high five*
    I'm literally in LOVE with your blog design! Who did it?!
    Anyway..i'm off to stalk your blog more..maybe drop by mine sometime? it's not as pretty or awesome in general but..;)
    P.S YOU ARE SO PRETTY!..;) #stalker
    Hawwa
    http://itwaslovelyreadingyou.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I just started using gifs and I love it! I'm a firm believe in gif use in reviews. Thanks so much for the compliment on my blog design! I actually designed it myself.

      Totally gonna go check out your blog now! Thanks for following and for leaving such a lovely comment. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...